Can I run an application compiled with gcc ABI 2.95 on a kernel compiled with gcc ABI 3.4?

Hello all

We have a target system with an old Linux environment that we can not easily upgrade to a new one.

The actual development system (linux) has more or less the same age (prox. 10 year)

We intend to do the following:

- Use a new distribution as development environment (linux)
- Still compile the target application for the old system (2.2 and 2.4 kernels, once all compiled with egcs 2.91.66)
- Test the target applications in the new development environment

Questions:
- Can I run an application compiled with gcc ABI 2.95 on a kernel compiled with gcc ABI 3.4?
- In other words: does it matter if the gcc ABI of the compilers for the kernel and the application are different, assuming all the libraries used, have the same gcc ABI as the application?

I guess:
- gcc ABI of librabies and applications compilation must generally match
- gcc ABI of kernel, libraries and applications compilation must generally match to.

Am I wrong?

I would appreciate any help

Roman
--