Re: Sources of entropy?

Robin Getz wrote:
I'm just wondering what people using on standard embedded/headless/diskless targets (which do not have hw random number generators) as a source of entropy - since networking was removed as an entropy source circa 2.6.26

On my target:

root:/> cat /proc/sys/kernel/random/entropy_avail
0

is about all I get... (since I'm not running any userspace utils yet).

I have seen rngd, clrngd, audio_entropyd, & video_entroyd - but I was just wondering what others were actually using. (I was cautioned that everything was pretty CPU intensive, since they all have a FIPS testing to ensure randomness)...

The answer on the box I'm working on is: very little. I need to generate an Ethernet MAC address and had to come up with way so that few random bits I had were sufficient, in my particular environment, to avoid address collisions.