RE: ramfs/tmpfs for application partition

> Not sure I fully understand....
>
> You basically want two blobs -- the initramfs and the application?

Yes, I want to keep on the flash a stable, rarely changed, OS image, which is in initramfs
format, and another application image, which is changing frequently.

> You can expand the initramfs by copying to it...so you mount the
> application and run a script to copy it to initramfs before running it.

When you say 'you mount the application' it means that the application
image on the flash has to be in some filesystem format, right? Like cramfs?
On the other hand, if I want the application directory tree to reside
in memory (and handle application persistency needs via the JFFS2 partition),
maybe all I need is to keep a compressed tar image of the application on the flash,
and untar it into /my/application/partition, which will be in initramfs?
So I don't need to create another tmpfs filesystem as suggested in another post?
Is there a better way to handle this?