Power cut in management

Hi all,

I'm working with a board where the power is turn on/off through a key as
in a car. Is there any design pattern to afford that? It's the first time
I have to manage a situation where the power can suddenly cut in anytime.
Hardware guys are working to get "time" to do a clean shutdown (I turn the
key but I still have the power) but any suggestions are welcome. However,
I can't use a simply read-only filesystem (at least for root fs) because
the board has got an sdcard that can be inserted (and then mounted in rw
mode) anytime. Thanks.

Regards,

Marco