Re: building Rootfs

Haller, John H (John) pisze:
What else is there out there for rootfs, really? A hack
from every embedded company there is? I'm more after
what people actually *use* and what is community driven
here, not so much opinions on what is best (which will
probably be the unwanted side effect of this mail
anyway...)

Linus

There are three issues in building an embedded cross-filesystem:
[--CUT--]
3. Getting files into the filesystem when the development
system does not allow root access.

Couple years ago, I found a simple solution for this issue. The filesystem image is described in the initramfs_list file format. That is easy to modify (adding new nodes, fixing paths, etc).
The final image building scenario is as follows:

cat initramfs_list | check_fs_integrity | mk<fs>image > image_file

Of course the initramfs_list file is cooked up dynamically basis on configuration of kernel, drivers and etc.

mareksk