Re: Kernel boot problem on IXP422 Rev. A

Hi Marcus,

Marcus Tangermann wrote:
first, thanks for the hints.

The most common problem like this I have seen are that the
ARM machine type set by the boot loader does not match those
compiled into the kernel. Also make sure that the RAM
size being passed to the kernel is correct too.

This seems to be set correctly.

Enable the kernels CONFIG_DEBUG_LL and it may give you some
early debug output (like an id not supported message). That
assumes a serial console...
Will try that,
Today I downloaded the snapgear distribution and tried whether i can generate a kernel image that works with it...and it boots (2.4 and 2.6) :-) Then I downloaded a fresh 2.6.25 kernel and compiled it with toolchain from the snapgear homepage...and it does not boot. Are there any special patches in the 2.6.19-uc1 from the snapgear distribution
that might have influence on a IXP422 based board?

I don't recall any specific fixes as such. There is support
for a few extra IXPxxx based boards.

Do a quick diff against a stock 2.6.19. There may be a number of
changes related to non-mmu arm in there, they won't have any impact
on IXP4xx support though.

Additionally, it seems that we may have a little problem in the bootloader (uboot) when passing kernel parameters (e.g."setenv bootargs console=ttyS0,115200"). Setting such a paramter causes the same problem with a dying kernel. Maybe there is a relation.

Kernel dying, not just no console?
Is your serial console on ttyS0 or ttyS1?

Regards
Greg