Re: Some embedded topics

On Tuesday 27 May 2008 17:31:42 T Ziomek wrote:
> If I understand correctly David is talking about logging some trace-like
> info (so it exists before a HW watchdog expires), and having it somewhere
> "safe" from being disturbed by a HW reset.

The standard way of doing this is to use the mem= kernel command line
parameter to tell the system it has less memory than it does, and using
what's left as a ramdisk.  Years ago I saw some userspace thing running as
root mmap() /dev/mem (or whatever they're calling it these days) and log to
it.  In theory you could even set the dmesg buffer up at the end of physical
memory with a smallish kernel patch, make it big, and set the kernel to doing
verbose printks.

The trick is A) knowing the absolute physical address at which your debug
buffer lives so you can find it after the reboot, B) convincing the system to
do something useful with it on reboot rather than just overwriting it with
fresh log data.

Rob
  - Ken Thompson.