Re: YAFFS in the kernel tree?

On Wed, May 28, 2008 at 5:34 PM, Charles Manning wrote:
> On Thursday 29 May 2008 09:24:14 Mike Frysinger wrote:
>> On Wed, May 28, 2008 at 4:59 PM, Charles Manning wrote:
>> > I'm the author of YAFFS. This is not in the kernel tree, but is fairly
>> > easy to integrate by just pulling a tarball and running  patch-in script.
>> >
>> > I am curious as to whether people consider the current mechanism "good
>> > enough" or whether it is worth the effort trying to get YAFFS into the
>> > kernel tree.
>> >
>> > Pros I can see:
>> > * In tree means better testing (maybe).
>> > * Keeping current with kernel API changes.
>> >
>> > Cons:
>> > * More effort for YAFFS maintainers (me mostly).
>> > * Effort getting code into kernel coding style (unless I can get a waiver
>> > on this).
>>
>> i'm pretty sure you're going to have to cull all of the
>> LINUX_VERSION_CODE checks.  that means the in tree yaffs code is only
>> going to track mainline kernel versions.  i dont know whether you
>> consider that a pro or con (i say it's a pro), but if you want/need
>> those checks, you're basically going to have to maintain two forked
>> versions ...
>
> The main reason for those version checks is that YAFFS tries to acknowledge
> that not everyone just uses the latest kernel.

i know

> Many embedded developers are
> using older kernels (for various valid reasons)

and for plenty of invalid reasons ;)

> (though this practice is probably on the decline)

i hope so

> I would like to continue supporting that.

honestly, this is the only bit that matters ... if someone wants to
run an older kernel but you're only interested in maintaining
mainline, then those people be damned.  stop using older kernels.

> I would expect that this would make for two versions of yaffs_fs.c: the CVS
> one for all comers and the in-tree version which is cleaned.

as long as you're completely aware and OK with the situation, then
let's stop talking about proposing for inclusion and post for review
already

wrt coding style, ive seen plenty of proposed things that were much
worse ... i dont think it'd take too much work to fix it ... you
should start with:
sed -i 's:[[:space:]]*$::' fs/yaffs*/*.c
-mike