Re: Some embedded topics

In message <20080527173118.12ec691b@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> you wrote:

> The problem, of course, is that you need someway to actually get the
> data off and if you've reset because of a watchdog...

That's not that difficult. For example, U-Boot both supports the
features of "protected RAM" (that can, for example be used for a
pramfs file system) and a shared (between U-Boot and Linux) log
buffer.

Especially the shared log buffer has been pretty useful to  us  in  a
couple of projects - we can, for example, pass U-Boot POST results up
to  the  Linux  kernel where applications can pick up the information
using standard syslog mechanisms; and after a  Linux  crash,  we  can
either read the log buffer in U-Boot, or just leave it as is and pass
it  to  the  next  booting  kernel. That way you can at least see the
crashdump etc. once the system is back up and running.

Best regards,

Wolfgang Denk

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd@xxxxxxx
"We learn from history that we learn nothing from history."
- George Bernard Shaw