problems bringing up CF based file system (2.6.25)

Gentlemen,

while in the process of porting a 2.6.18 based embedded ppc8541
platform into 2.6.25 (moving the BSP from arch/ppc to arch/powerpc
along the way) I have a problem I don't seem to be able to solve:

how to make the IDE driver engage for the onboard CF card?

There is no initird, so the system is supposed to come up with the
root file system on the card.  I do call ide_init_hwif_ports() and
then ide_register_hw() early in the BSP, and I see the
drivers/ide/ide-disk.c:idedisk_init() called later on, but I never see
drivers/ide/ide-disk.c:ide_disk_probe() called.

This is all there is regarding IDE printed on the console when the
system is trying to boot:

Uniform Multi-Platform E-IDE driver
ide: Assuming 33MHz system bus speed for PIO modes; override with idebus=xx

Do I have to describe the CF card in the dreaded DTS file (I don't see
any reference to IDE in the prom*.c and friends though).

Is there any write up/howto on how to make this work - any hints will
be highly appreciated.

TIA,
Vadim