Re: "No EFI environment detected" debug message not logged

I know it's run before the kernel is functional. Is it the Linux way
not to save logs of anything? At least, for pure inspection of the
entirety of what has been output onto the screen after the bootloader
transfers execution? If it's a debug message, why is it volatile and
how do you expect to debug if it's gone after a split second?

On Fri, Sep 13, 2024 at 10:48 PM Ard Biesheuvel <ardb@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Fri, 13 Sept 2024 at 19:45, ofthecentury <ofthecentury@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > I have a question about this: efi.c file:
> > https://github.com/torvalds/linux/commit/7c4146e8885512719a50b641e9277a1712e052ff
> > I see "No EFI environment detected" printed on screen before kernel
> > boots, but I don't know what log it's saved in. It's not in dmesg, not
> > in journalctl. Is it not logged at all?
> >

> No. It is logged from the decompressor, which runs long before the
> kernel can really log anything.
>
> If you see this message (on a recent kernel), it probably also means
> that you are not booting from EFI in the first place.

[Index of Archives]     [Linux ARM Kernel]     [Linux ARM]     [Linux Omap]     [Fedora ARM]     [IETF Annouce]     [Security]     [Bugtraq]     [Linux OMAP]     [Linux MIPS]     [ECOS]     [Asterisk Internet PBX]     [Linux API]