Re: [REGRESSION] boot fails for EFI boot stub loaded by u-boot

Oct 19, 2023, 07:21 by heinrich.schuchardt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx:

> To which kernel and device-tree are the messages below related?

Sorry. I'm building/testing with v6.5.7 right now, but I have not been able to boot any kernel version >= 6.1. The device tree I used also came from linux v6.5.7. Its source is at arch/arm64/boot/dts/marvell/armada-3720-espressobin-ultra.dts.

> Something in the structure of your device-tree is invalid.

The device does boot using kernel v5.15 and the device tree compiled from linux v6.5.7. The device tree could still very well be a problem. I just didn't start there because whatever problems the device tree may have don't prevent the device from booting for kernels prior to v6.1.

> Please, check the load addresses in U-Boot. Is something overwriting the tail of the device-tree?

I have always loaded the device tree to 0x1000000 (16MiB) and the kernel to 0x2000000 (32MiB) for no particular reason except that's what the manufacturer did. armada-3720-espressobin-ultra.dtb is only 14K. I don't load an initramfs or anything else to memory with u-boot and the address used to load u-boot environment is 0x6000000.

> Compiling upstream U-Boot's qemu_arm64_defconfig yields lib/efi_loader/dtbdump.efi. If you run this instead of the kernel, you can write the device-tree as it is passed in a configuration table to the ESP.

I compiled and ran this fine, but I was unable to save the device tree. I suspect this is because the program searches for an ESP, and there is none on the device. U-boot was compiled with support to load directly from an ext4 filesystem so I didn't bother setting one up. I will work on it. I can convert the .dtb on disk back to a human-readable .dts easily with dtc if that is helpful.

Thanks!

Ben

[Index of Archives]     [Linux ARM Kernel]     [Linux ARM]     [Linux Omap]     [Fedora ARM]     [IETF Annouce]     [Security]     [Bugtraq]     [Linux OMAP]     [Linux MIPS]     [ECOS]     [Asterisk Internet PBX]     [Linux API]