Re: Queries about disabling EFI runtime services late

On Tue, 2022-12-20 at 11:43 +0800, Dave Young wrote:
> Hi Ard,
>
> Real time kernels usually disable efi runtime for latency issues,

Could you say a bit more about this?  I was under the impression we
only call efi runtime services when asked: for variable or capsule
updates or if you use the EFI RTC.  So if you don't use EFI services in
a real time kernel, you shouldn't suffer any latency issues due to
having them enabled.

>  but for some use cases, e.g. when Secure Boot is used kexec needs to
> get the UEFI keys to verify the kernel signatures with
> kexec_file_load syscall.

It's not just kexec.  Without EFI variable services, you won't be able
to update the MoK keys for new kernels either.

James

> Do you have suggestions on how to make both work?
> Is it possible to have something like CONFIG_EFI_DISABLE_RUNTIME_LATE
> so the runtime can be disabled after init phase or a runtime switch
> in sysctl?
>
> Thanks
> Dave

[Index of Archives]     [Linux ARM Kernel]     [Linux ARM]     [Linux Omap]     [Fedora ARM]     [IETF Annouce]     [Security]     [Bugtraq]     [Linux OMAP]     [Linux MIPS]     [ECOS]     [Asterisk Internet PBX]     [Linux API]