Re: Efi-stub-kernel with embedded initramfs does not boot

On Tue, 15 Nov 2022 at 15:34, Peter Böhm <peter.bo@xxxxxx> wrote:

> Dear Ard Biesheuvel,
>
> this is my first kernel bug report ever (and I am not a native english
> speaker), please be patient with me ;-)

Hello Peter,

Thanks for the report.

> I have read
> https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/latest/admin-guide/reporting-issues.html
> and found your email address here:
> https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/latest/process/maintainers.html#maintainers
>
> I configure my kernels since 20 years but I am not a kernel hacker. I have a
> working LTS kernel (5.15.78) in a Gentoo system.

So if I am understanding this correctly, you are reporting that the
config below simply does not work at all, and this 5.15 kernel does
not use a built-in initramfs, right? Or did something get broken after
5.15 was released?

> A) Bug Summary:
>
> Kbuild allows me to add an embedded (=built-in) initramfs to my working efi-
> stub-kernel (signed because of secureboot). This combination does not boot:
> BIOS boot screen starts with: "EFI Stub: UEFI Secure Boot is enabled"; then
> blank screen; then two beeps; then trying to boot again; endless loop can only
> be stopped by pressing <F12> and entering UEFI BIOS (and selecting a working
> kernel).
>
> Note: Kernel builds without any error message (of course I have beside the
> initramfs_list also a init in /usr/src/initramfs)

How much does the size of the bzImage increase due to the initramfs
being incorporated? Given the below, it should be tiny, right?

> B) Difference between working kernel and failed:
>
> CONFIG_BLK_DEV_INITRD=y
> CONFIG_INITRAMFS_SOURCE="/usr/src/initramfs/initramfs_list"
> CONFIG_INITRAMFS_ROOT_UID=0
> CONFIG_INITRAMFS_ROOT_GID=0
> CONFIG_RD_GZIP=y
> CONFIG_INITRAMFS_COMPRESSION_GZIP=y
>
> I also know a solution called "UKI" (unified kernel image) in other
> distributions; but why building such scrap if my beloved kernel has all
> necessary pieces also ? Kernel hast efi-stub, built-in kernel command line and
> embedded initramfs ...

Agreed. You shouldn't need UKI for this.

However, I tested this locally with a rootfs.cpio file I use for
testing, and it happily boots in EFI mode and going through the stub
etc.

Can you check and see if earlycon=efifb produces some more output?

[Index of Archives]     [Linux ARM Kernel]     [Linux ARM]     [Linux Omap]     [Fedora ARM]     [IETF Annouce]     [Security]     [Bugtraq]     [Linux OMAP]     [Linux MIPS]     [ECOS]     [Asterisk Internet PBX]     [Linux API]