Re: Removing DT dependency from LoongArch EFI stub

On Sat, 17 Sept 2022 at 09:59, Huacai Chen <chenhuacai@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi, Ard,
>
> On Sat, Sep 17, 2022 at 2:37 AM Ard Biesheuvel <ardb@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > One of the things I didn't quite like was that LoongArch now uses
> > libfdt only because our EFI stub code depends on it. I would like to
> > fix this.
> >
> > I have pushed a branch here that implements this. Unfortunately, it
> > doesn't proceed beyond
> >
> > and I need some help debugging the error.
> >
> > EFI stub: Booting Linux Kernel...
> > EFI stub: Loaded initrd from LINUX_EFI_INITRD_MEDIA_GUID device path
> > EFI stub: Exiting boot services ...
> >
> > https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/ardb/linux.git/commit/?h=efi-cleanups-for-v6.1
> >
> > The idea is to pass the EFI system table pointer and the command line
> > pointer directly. In previous patches, the initrd and memmap code is
> > updated so it exposes the information via configuration tables that
> > the generic code can parse.
> >
> > Any help is greatly appreciated.
> I'm sorry but I suggest keeping the current light FDT approach. Of
> course the upstream LoongArch kernel uses UEFI+ACPI, but it only
> supports high-end systems (Loongson-3A/3C CPU with LS7A chipset). In
> fact, low-end systems (Loongson-2K CPU in SoC) support is already on
> the way and target for 6.2, which uses FDT in order to share a number
> of existing drivers. Using the current approach can share lots of boot
> code for both high-end and low-end systems, and doesn't break boot
> again.

Ah fair enough. I didn't realize you were planning on using FDT as a
platform description.

I may still propose some enhancements that clean up the way we use FDT
in the EFI stub, but omitting it entirely is not going to be a
priority then.

Thanks,
Ard.

[Index of Archives]     [Linux ARM Kernel]     [Linux ARM]     [Linux Omap]     [Fedora ARM]     [IETF Annouce]     [Security]     [Bugtraq]     [Linux OMAP]     [Linux MIPS]     [ECOS]     [Asterisk Internet PBX]     [Linux API]