memcpy freeze in __setup_efi_pci64 on HP X2 210 tablet

Booting current mainline kernel (EFI_STUB=y, tried 4.4.0 and 4.3.3) on HP X2 210 tablet (UEFI enabled, secure boot off) freezes very early without any output - earlyprintk enabled. Adding own debug output I found that it freezes on line 473 in arch/x86/boot/compressed/eboot.c where memcpy is called. Preceding mem allocation seams fine though.

At first this seamed to be an issue when chainloading the kernel from iPXE. See here: http://forum.ipxe.org/showthread.php?tid=7938

But booting the kernel straight from USB as bootx64.efi freezes on the exact same memcpy call. Using the same kernel with GRUB as bootloader does not cause an issue as this seams to load it as bzImage bypassing the EFI init code.

Asking for advice on how to further debug this. Why/how is memcpy failing/freezing on this hardware? Any checks I could add to the code to make this run?

Thanks in advance!

Cheers
Sebastian