Re: SkyStar HD2 issues, signal sensitivity, etc.

Dave Lister wrote:
> 2009/4/12 VDR User <user.vdr@xxxxxxxxx>:

>>> RESULTS (using "s2" dvb-apps):
>>> - scanning DVB-S works
>>> - scanning DVB-S2 doesn't work
>>> - zapping DVB-S is fast
>>>
>> Can you please try a fresh clone of the tree?  I believe the fixes
>> have now been applied.  Thanks!
>>

> Ok, I did and it seems fine. I mean for a Linux DVB-S2 card. :)
> Compared to liplianin driver, only minus is non-working DiSEqC.
> Because I am using a multiswitch,  I had to switch to liplianin. I am
> sorry, but I'm definitely keeping an eye on your driver as well and
> will be testing it as it gets updated!
>
> For other SkyStar HD2 users, this is a summary as of 2009.04.14:
>   - kernel 2.6.29 + mantis-v4l works (except DiSEqC as far as I can tell)

Diseqc works fine over here, with the VP-1041 and other cards, using
the mantis-v4l tree.

>   - kernel 2.6.29 + s2-liplianin works just as reliably + DiSEqC

The s2-liplianin tree doesn't use an updated tree for the mantis
based devices unfortunately. It is stuck with older changesets of
the mantis tree.

The s2-liplianin tree contains (ed) ? some clock related changes
which were not favourable for the STB0899 demodulator, which is
capable of causing potential hardware damage.

> Common issues:
>   - zapping DVB-S2 channel causes tuner HW lockup (loss of signal until reboot)
>   - zap DVB-S2 channel => AWFUL ultra-high pitched noise emitted from
> the card (capacitors or coils?) - makes your head hurt in about 30mins
>   - very poor TS (picture data) quality; signal = 95%, SNR = 70%,
> STB/TV gives superb picture, but SkyStar/PC picture is corrupted every
> few seconds, sound glitches, etc. (as if the signal was like 40% on
> STB) - confirmed in VDR (Xine), MythTV, mplayer.
>
> These issues are present with both of my two SkyStar cards, which
> hopefully eliminates faulty HW. To be frank,

The cards what i have don't have the issues whatsoever you mention.

There could be multiple causes, since the cards that i have don't
have the troubles whatsoever you mention.

* If you had those changes on your hardware and your card was
susceptible to such issues, then that could be a possible reason.

* There are quite some hardware pirates, as noted here ..

In any of your cases, If you have hardware related issues please
contact to your supplier to have it checked/replaced by them.

NOTE: Always try to stick with a tree that's a mainline tree or the
development tree, rather than tree's with unknown changes.

Regards,
Manu