Weird TS Stream from DMX_SET_PES_FILTER

Hello,

I've been using the Linux DVB API to grab DBV-S MPEG2 video packets using a TechniSat S2 card.

But something seems odd about DMX_SET_PES_FILTER.

It returns a TS packets for my pid just fine, but by MPEG2 frames have no PES headers!  The raw compressed MPEG2 frames just immediately follow the TS/adapation-field headers directly.

When I wrote my TS packet decoder, I was expecting to have to decode PES headers after the TS header. But instead I found the raw compressed frames.

They decode fine (with ffmpeg's libavcodec mpeg2 decoder,) and they look fine when rendered using SDL.

But besides my own program, I can't get vlc or mplayer to decode this stream. Both vlc and mplayer sense a TS stream, but then they never render anything because, I suspect, that they can't find PES headers.

So, two questions:

1. Am I crazy or is DMX_SET_PES_FILTER returning a non-standard TS stream?

2. Is there a way to receive a compliant MPEG-TS (or MPEG2-PS,) stream?

3. Should I use DMX_SET_FILTER instead?

4. If so, what goes in the filter/mask members of the dmx_filter_t struct?

Thanks,
Bob

PS: I use the following to filter on my video stream pid (0x1344):

 struct dmx_pes_filter_params f;

 memset(&f, 0, sizeof(f));
 f.pid = (uint16_t) pid;
 f.input = DMX_IN_FRONTEND;