vbox cat's eye 3560 usb

I’m trying to write a driver for the device, just as a learning exercise. So far, I’ve got the firmware in intel hex format (from usbsnoop on windows, then a couple perl scripts to mutate it) and am able to use fxload to load it with –t fx2 and there are 2 separate files, a short one (the loader) and the firmware proper; so in fxload I have a –s and a –I.

I’m able to take it from cold to warm that way.

The device itself has a cypress CY7C68013A fx2 chip and a large tin can tuner/demod stamped with Thomson that has a sticker on it identifying it as 8601A. Helpfully, the 3560 opens up easily with the removal of two screws on the shell.

It’s cold boot usb id is 14f3:3560 and its warm boot is 14f3:a560.

I have taken that hex file and created a binary file out of the 2nd file (-I in fxload speak). I think, correct me if I’m wrong, there is already a fx2 loader available, thus I will not need the loader file.

One of the stranger things I saw in the usbsnoop trace in windows was when it came to reset of the CPUCS, the driver sent down both a poke at x0e600 and a poke at 7f92. One is the fx CPUCS register, I believe the other is a fx2 CPUCS register.

Currently I am mutating dibusb-mc just to see if I can get it to the point of going from cold to warm in the driver.

I have taken usb sniffs from windows of doing things such as scanning for channels, watching a channel, etc. so I can try to figure out if anything else in the v4l-dvb collection behaves similarly.

I guess what I’m looking for is any hints that might be useful to figuring this out.

Like I said, it’s a learning exercise, I already have enough tuners, and anyway, the cost of buying a supported tuner is far cheaper than the time needed to develop this!

Thanks for any info! I’ve pretty much devoured everything available on the wiki.

Amy

and confidential and protected from disclosure. If the reader
of this message is not the intended recipient, or an employee
or agent responsible for delivering this message to the
intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any reproduction,
dissemination or distribution of this communication is strictly
please notify us immediately by replying to the message and
deleting it from your computer. Thank you. Tellabs