Re: How to use scan-s2?

On Sun, Jan 25, 2009 at 4:41 PM, Hans Werner <HWerner4@xxxxxx> wrote:
> If you have a stb0899 device, don't forget to add "-k 3".

Oh. Can someone say what's different about the stb0899 here,
and how -k 3 helps ?

Since I've added it, I'll try to defend it :)

stb0899 driver (or maybe the chip?) has some buffers inside that are not reset between tunnings.
In that case messages from previous channel will arrive after the tunning to new channel is complete.
Those messages will create a big mess in the results, such as channels without names, duplicate channels on different transponders.
-k option specifies how many messages should be ignored before processing it. I couldn't think of a more elegant way to ignore messages from previously tuned channel. I use "-k 3" by myself, but after playing around with "-k 2" saw that its also working. "-k 1" was still not enough.

The proper way is to have an option to reset that buffer in the driver after tunning.
Since I don't know how it can be done and how it will affect tunning of channels for viewing, I didn't want to go that way and solve it in scan-s2.

Regards,
Alex.

Thanks,
Hans