Re: Which firmware for cx23885 and xc3028?

Wayne and Holly <wayneandholly@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

I am trying to make an AverMedia AverTV Hybrid Express (A577)
work under Linux. It seems all major chips (cx23885, xc3028
and af9013) are already supported, so it should be doable in
principle.

I am stuck a little bit since AFAIK both cx23885 and xc3028
need an uploadable firmware. Where should I download/extract
such firmware from? I tried Steven Toth's repo (the Hauppauge
HVR-1400 seems to be built around these chips as well) but
even after copying the files under /lib/firmware it didn't
really work. I tried to specify different cardtypes for the
cx23885 module. For cardtype=2 I got a /dev/video0 and a
/dev/video1 (the latter is of course unusable, I don't have a
MPEG encoder chip on my card) but tuning was unsuccesful. All
the other types I tried either didn't work at all or only
resulted in dvb devices detected. For the moment, I am fine
without DVB, and are interested mainly in analog devices.

Maybe I should locate the windows driver of my card and
extract the firmware files from it? If so, how do I proceed?

Have you followed these instructions?:
http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/Xceive_XC3028/XC2028#How_to_Obtain_the
_Firmware

Tried xc3028-v27.fw as well as v36 from Steven's site. There is nothing
showing up in the syslog when modprobing tuner-xc2028 (the doc mentions
the kernel driver should indicate which part it loads).

What's the situation with cx23885? After digging into the various docs
and descriptions pertaining to this chip, it's still not clear whether I
need a firmware (and if so, where from may I download/extract it).

Many thanks for your help!

Greetings,

Levente