Re: dvb-t config for Ukraine_Kiev (ua)

Hi Dmitry, thank you for your mail!

I am posting part of it to the linux-dvb list, in case someone
there can give more or better information than I do...

On Wed, 14 Jan 2009, vdp wrote:

> BB> some random 8-bit chars to make sure this gets tagged as utf-8...
> sory, it's really Cyrillic - I can read it with
> code_table_windows_1251, not like UTF-8, but strange and interesting ;-)

Off-topic here, but to explain --
In the more-than-ten years since I last used the mail program
I am using now, the language and multi-lingual support has
greatly improved -- back then, it would make no effort to try
and display your Cyrillic characters, be they in KOI8-U, or
ISO-8859-5, or whatever - if I had selected to display, say
8859-1, or 8859-2 for Czech.

But today, even with my use of the text console and no windowing
system, I can display Cyrillic, Polish, Slovak, French, Hebrew,
Greek -- all at the same time.  Yay!

However, when I sent out a message with Greek characters, I saw
in my local copy of it, that it was sent as 8859-7.  But I do
not know if many mailers are able to understand how to convert
from that and display properly with a Unicode font.

The same way, when I sent the Ukranian text, it could be that
some people in western europe, or outside europe entirely, might
not see the characters correctly, because my mailer was set up
to use the smallest possible unique character set tagging,
rather than UTF-8 which has become far more common now (yes,
I should fix my mailer configuration).

So, in order to give the message a UTF-8 character set tagging,
so that it could be displayed simply by any utf-8-aware
xterm with a -10646 font, or on a text console with Unicode
enabled and a font that uses as many possible characters in
the 512 that are available, with a mailer that does not know
how to convert from 8859-x into Unicode, I needed to insert a
few German and Greek and Hebrew characters that are not common
to 8859-5.

And that is why I did not send only the Cyrillic characters,
in case some mailer fails, and displays them as western-european
or something else, the way I used to see things...

This is easy to set up with X as there are plenty of -10646
fonts available in the years since I contributed an 8859-2
font; for the very nice large font of a 25x80 text console on
a nice large monitor that does not strain my eyes, I like
SCREEN_FONT=/usr/local/src/fonty-rg-0.5/LatCyrGr-16.psf.gz
that makes many useful g00gle results readable to me.

Again, sorry for going off-topic for so long...

Now, to your question, which maybe some linux-dvb reader can
offer more help...

> now work next scheme:
> I tzap to some channel and read stream with emcast from /dev/dvb/adapter0/dvr0
> but it is only one channel - I would like stream all transponder
>
> Could you help, with advice - is it possible ? (receive all
> transponder with several channels simultaneous at the same time)

Yes, this is very possible.

The one thing to be certain of, is that you are not using a
USB-1 device, as the bandwidth of USB 1 is less than most DVB-T
multiplexes today -- usually you can fit at least two services
without problems, though, over USB 1.

The special ``PID'' of 8192 is used by, for example, `dvbstream'
meaning to send the entire datastream with all PIDs to its
output.  It will also do all the tuning for you.

Or, if you know all the PIDs that are used on a particular
frequency, you can usually list all of them of interest, up
to the limit of the hardware PID filter, if there is one.

This can save some space, as PID 8191 usually takes up some
bandwidth for null packets to fill the available bandwidth,
and there may be unneeded services, such as data, teletext,
or whatever, that you do not care about.

For example, here is what I would use to record three of
the RTVi services which are sometimes FTA on Hotbirds:
/home/beer/bin/dvbstream  ${OPERA1}  -T  \
    -s 27500   -p h   -f 12322   -I 2   -D 2  \
    -o:${RECROOT:-/opt}/Partial_Transport_Streams/detskii_mir-fs-${DATE}.ts  \
    0 44  -v 45  -a 46   40 41 42  47 48 49   $*

(I am actually guessing that the last 6 PIDs are correct,
as I only recorded the one service...)

Then you only need to select which programme you wish during
playback with your media player (you may need to record some
additional PIDs to see the service name).  Or you can split
the three services into three separate files.

I use the `8192' PID when I want the entire stream, but if
you want to use `tzap' or similar, then whatever program you
use after that needs to set all the PIDs -- for example,
`dvbtraffic' after I've tuned to a DVB-H multiplex...
-PID--FREQ-----BANDWIDTH-BANDWIDTH-
0000    20 p/s     3 kb/s    31 kbit        0
0011     3 p/s     0 kb/s     5 kbit       17
0012    23 p/s     4 kb/s    35 kbit       18
0015     1 p/s     0 kb/s     2 kbit       21
0020    19 p/s     3 kb/s    29 kbit       32
[snip]
1fff  1533 p/s   281 kb/s  2306 kbit     8191
2000  6609 p/s  1213 kb/s  9940 kbit     8192

Other people would have to suggest programs which are able
to do this for you, as I only know about `dvbstream' and
have not tried using anything else...

barry bouwsma
(as always, writing too much)