On Thu, 8 Jan 2009, Klaus Schmidinger wrote:

> On 07.01.2009 03:09, Mauro Carvalho Chehab wrote:
>>
>> The idea of merging the mailing lists is running around for some time.
>>
>> It took some time for me to have time to address this issue, but it finally happened. We've just created it as:
>>
>>     * linux-media@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
> I just subscribed to this list and already received a first posting.
> Unfortunately this list doesn't mark postings' subjects with the
> list name, as in
>
>   Merging V4L, DVB and Maintainers Mailing lists...
>
> where I could immediately see whether this is a "normal" email
> or a list posting.
>
> Could this please be changed, so that there is a [listname] prefix?

Probably this could be changed, but this would have some other impacts,
like adding the list name on the submitted patches. Also, The list were
created using the same config as all the other Linux kernel development
lists. The previous experiences shows that having a different model on our
development means more work and more troubles that could otherwise be
avoided (for example, using -hg instea of -git ended to be a large source
of troubles for maintaining it).

What I do here is to create a filtering rule to split mailing list patches
on a separate INBOX, based on this message header:

If your emailer is powerful enough, maybe you can also prefix something at
the subject when this header is seen. For example, on claws-mail, you can
color the message based on a filtering rule.

Cheers,
Mauro.