Regression since 2.6.25 kernel: Crash of userspace program leaves DVB device unusable

Hi,

I've been coming up against a problem that seems to be with the DVB drivers
that occurs when a program using them, usually VDR in my case, terminates
uncleanly (segfault, general protection fault). Linux 2.6.25 doesn't have this
problem, but 2.6.26, 2.6.27, and 2.6.28 do, though 2.6.28 manifests slightly
differently to the others. I'll focus on what 2.6.28 does. I have a DViCO
FusionHDTV DVB-T Plus, running on an amd64 Debian Testing (mostly) dual-core
machine.

After VDR crashes it attemps to restart itself. This was fine on 2.6.25, but on
later kernels the crash seems to leave the device in some unusable state,
where no program can subsequently use it - the device files (/dev/dvb) no
longer exist. (In 2.6.2[67], the files existed, but accessing
/dev/dvb/adapter0/dvr0 resulted in "No such device".) I had figured out that in
order to get the device working again it is necessary to "rmmod cx88_dvb
cx8802; modprobe cx88_dvb". This worked in 2.6.2[67] without trouble, but in
2.6.28, it's as if the cx88_dvb module gets lost somehow. It doesn't appear in
lsmod, however:
phi:~# modprobe cx88_dvb
FATAL: Error inserting cx88_dvb
(/lib/modules/2.6.28/kernel/drivers/media/video/cx88/cx88-dvb.ko): No such
device
phi:~# rmmod cx88_dvb cx8802
ERROR: Module cx88_dvb does not exist in /proc/modules
phi:~# modprobe cx88_dvb

Note that probing it works only *after* cx8802 was unloaded. As before, now
the device is accessible.

So it seems something is wrong in the cx8802 module. Something is not being
cleaned up after a userspace program crashes while using it, leaving the DVB
system in a broken state.

I'd very much like this to not be the case, since on my system a VDR crash is
somewhat inevitable, and the automatic restart *was* very handy, back in
2.6.25.

Peace,
Brendon