Re: mxl5005s tuner analog support

On Fri, Dec 26, 2008 at 6:10 PM, Andy Walls <awalls@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-12-26 at 16:48 -0500, Devin Heitmueller wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I working on the analog support for the Pinnacle Ultimate 880e
>> support, and that device includes an mxl5005s tuner.
>>
>> I went to do the normal changes to em28xx to support another tuner,
>> which prompted me to wonder:
>>
>> Is the analog support known to to work in Linux for this tuner for any
>> other device?
>>
>> The reason I ask is because I hit an oops and when I looked at the
>> source I found some suspicious things:
>>
>> * No entry in tuner.h
>> * No attach command in tuner-core.c
>> * No definition of set_analog_params() callback in mxl5005s.c
>
> The mxl5005s support was added to the v4l-dvb repo by Steven Toth for
> the HVR-1600 which uses it exclusively for ATSC (QAM and 8-VSB).
>
> The source of Steve's driver is from RealTek.  More comments on origin
> can be found in the mxl5005s.[ch] files.
>
> There is some history in the list archives between Steve and Manu (and
> me indirectly) on the use of the mxl500x source module.
>

>> I wonder if perhaps the driver was ported from some other source and
>> nobody ever got around to getting the analog support working?  If
>> that's the case then that is fine (I'll make it work), but I want to
>> know if I am just missing something obvious here....
>
> I'd like to get the driver working a little better myself.  Steve said
> the QAM suffers a 3 dB hit compared to Manu's version (IIRC).  I'd like
> a decent signal strength readout.   If I had a data sheet from MaxLinear
> maybe I could do something.  It still looks like details of external
> tracking filter hardware need to be known and tested for each particular
> board though.
>
> Regards,
> Andy

Thanks for the feedback.  I just wanted a sanity check that I wasn't
missing something obvious.  I'll take a look at the code, as well as
the original RealTek code and see if I can get the analog side
working.

I'll send some emails and see if I can get the datasheet - I didn't
ask for it when I started the work since I was under the impression
that the driver was mature.

Devin

--
Devin J. Heitmueller