Re: Avermedia A312 - patch for review

-----Original Message-----
From: Devin Heitmueller [mailto:devin.heitmueller@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, December 16, 2008 6:08 AM
To: Andy Walls
Cc: Daniel Perzynski; linux-dvb@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re:  Avermedia A312 - patch for review

On Mon, Dec 15, 2008 at 8:04 PM, Andy Walls <awalls@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-12-15 at 18:27 -0500, Devin Heitmueller wrote:
>> On Mon, Dec 15, 2008 at 6:23 PM, Daniel Perzynski
>> <Daniel.Perzynski@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> > Devin,
>> >
>> > The problem is that I'm in Poland and we don't have ATSC here as far as
I'm
>> > aware but I will try to test it anyway.
>> > Could you please look at the wiki for that card and tell me what will
be the
>> > analog video decoder for that card (I don't have /dev/videoX device).
>>
>> Hmm....  It's a cx25843.  I would have to look at the code to see how
>> to hook that into the CY7C68013A bridge.  I'll take a look tonight
>> when I get home.
>
> The cxusb.[ch] files seem to devoid of analog support.  There's this
> comment which sums it up:
>
> * TODO: Use the cx25840-driver for the analogue part
>

> Although the linux/media/video/pvrusb2 driver appears to have at least
> two hybrid boards with a cx2584x and an FX2 (WinTV HVR-1900 and HVR-1950
> in pvrusb2_devattr.c).  Maybe that driver could help... (or maybe I
> haven't got a clue :] )
>
> Regards,
> Andy

> Ugh.  It looks like Andy is right - nobody appears to have ever gotten
> around to doing analog support for the cxusb driver.  Worse, the
> driver relies on the dvb_usb framework which doesn't have analog
> support at all (this is why the Pinnacle 801e doesn't have analog
> too).
>
> Daniel - This is going to be a project - we're not talking adding just
> another device profile.  Analog support is a huge piece of the
> framework that this driver outright doesn't exist.  Someone would have
> to add analog support to dvb_usb and then make it work with the cxusb
> driver, and then add the appropriate device profile for the Avermedia
> A312.
>
> Devin
>
> --
> Devin J. Heitmueller
> http://www.devinheitmueller.com
> AIM: devinheitmueller

Hmm, not good then :( How we can start that project? I have to tell you that
I'm not a programmer and I've added a312 support to cxusb based on the
similarities to Avermedia Volar.
There is a radio also in that card (I don't know which chipset is
responsible for that) + WM8739 for which the driver do exist (wm8739.c). I
can try to modify pvrusb2 but the question is if we shouldn't have one
"driver" to support both analog and digital TV + Radio on that card?

Daniel,