Re: Pinnacle 80e support: not going to happen...

Le mercredi 3 décembre 2008 11:23:14 Nico Sabbi, vous avez écrit :
> On Wednesday 03 December 2008 00:21:08 Devin Heitmueller wrote:
> > On Tue, Dec 2, 2008 at 6:10 PM, Markus Rechberger
>
> <mrechberger@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > Not so fast, even though I wasn't involved at knocking this down.
> > > We have a custom player now which is capable of directly
> > > interfacing the I2C chips from those devices. Another feature is
> > > that it supports all the features of those devices, there won't
> > > be any need of different applications anymore. There's also the
> > > thought about publishing an SDK, most applications have problems
> > > of detecting all corresponding devicenodes which are required for
> > > those devices anyway. i2c-dev is an already available and
> > > accepted kernel interface
> > > to userland just as usbfs is.
> >
> > Hello Markus,
> >
> > Yeah, I saw the screenshots for Empia eeeTV on your website a few
> > days ago - it looks like a neat application and there is certainly
> > a place for a well written application to watch TV.
> >
> > For those of you not familiar, Markus is working on his own
> > dedicated TV watching application for Linux and BSD:
> > http://mcentral.de/wiki/index.php5/ISDB-T
> >
> > I agree that it is certainly true that a closed-source application
> > could be used with the Pinnacle 80e (since such application would
> > be able to accommodate the Micronas binary-only licensing), however
> > this approach does restrict access to those devices to that
> > specific application and is not a more general solution that would
> > work with whatever application the user wants to use (such as
> > MythTV, Kaffeine, mplayer, etc).
> >
> > So for many people, this could be a viable approach.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Devin
>
> what makes Micronas believe that in order to have the High Privilege
> of using their products bought with their money people are willing to
> sacrifice their freedom and hope that someone will adapt
> existing players? I can tell you with absolute certainty that mplayer
> will never adapt and I will reject any (unlikely to come) patch to
> support that library

Ack.
Anyway, such a lib will never get its way in Linux distributions.
There is lots of good hardware with linuxtv drivers around.
Maybe someone should tell Micronas that what they are looking for is called
microsoft.

Giving a reference driver to Devin to say latter "aha, you are damned now" is
not only unpolite but also uncivilized.

--
Christophe Thommeret