Re: AnyTV AUTV002 USB ATSC/QAM Tuner Stick

Bob Cunningham wrote:
> CityK wrote:
>> Bob Cunningham wrote:
>>> There are 3 chips, from the USB to the cable connector they are:
>>> AU0828A
>>> AU8522AA
>>> MT2131F
>>>

>> What tuner is being listed in your dmesg output ?
>
> Here's everything from dmesg:
>
>    usb 1-2: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 22
>    usb 1-2: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
>    au0828: i2c bus registered
>    tveeprom 4-0050: Encountered bad packet header [ff]. Corrupt or not
> a Hauppauge eeprom.
>    hauppauge_eeprom: warning: unknown hauppauge model #0
>    hauppauge_eeprom: hauppauge eeprom: model=0
>    tda18271 4-0060: creating new instance
>    Unknown device detected @ 4-0060, device not supported.
>    Unknown device detected @ 4-0060, device not supported.
>    tda18271_attach: error -22 on line 1171
>    tda18271 4-0060: destroying instance
>    DVB: registering new adapter (au0828)
>    DVB: registering adapter 0 frontend 1 (Auvitek AU8522 QAM/8VSB
> Frontend)...
>    Registered device AU0828 [Hauppauge Woodbury]
>    usb 1-2: New USB device found, idVendor=05e1, idProduct=0400
>    usb 1-2: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=0
>    usb 1-2: Product: USB 2.0 Video Capture Controller
>    usb 1-2: Manufacturer: Syntek Semiconductor

Please use 'reply all', so you don't drop the list -- I have cc'ed your
reply back in (snipping out the unnecessary stuff)

As can be seen, there is:
a) a problem with reading from the EEPROM
b) the device is initially setting up  with a NXP tda18271 tuner ...
which obviously is not the same as the  MT2131 in your device ...
understandably, the tuner driver craps out.

I suspect that when you were attempting to tune, all you were doing was
polling from the last state the tuner was left in (whatever the tda
driver's attempt to initialize it was before it crapped out)... and, as
there is no driver operating further, there is no fine control over the
tuner ... hence, the scan utility could instruct the frontend to check a
certain frequency, but all you're getting back is crap from the tuner
....   sort of like an analog radio that's in between stations and
emitting static -- unless you directly manipulate/have control over the
tuning knob,  standing 10 feet away and verbally instructing the radio
to tune this or that frequency is going to produce the same thing being
emitted all along -- static.