Re: Announcement: wiki merger and some loose ends

On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 11:21 AM, Johannes Stezenbach <js@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi CityK,
>
> On Sun, Oct 26, 2008 at 10:22:34PM -0400, CityK wrote:
> (about merging the linux-dvb and video4linux-list)
>
> Maybe it would be a good idea to create a new
> list on vger.kernel.org which assimilates
> linux-dvb, video4linux-list and v4l-dvb-maintainer.
> vger.kernel.org has outstanding spam filters so their
> lists generally allow postings from non-subscribers.
>
> How about just creating such a list as a replacement
> for v4l-dvb-maintainer, and then see if linux-dvb
> and video4linux-list users accept it and move
> their discussions over?

Mauro and I were discussing this face to face at the Linux Plumbers
conference...

What we would like to do is leave the video4linux and linux-dvb
mailing lists as user lists, create a new -devel mailing list, and
redirect v4l-dvb-maintainer to the new list.  (Probably hosted on
vger, but that hasnt yet been determined)

The devel list would be an open list for developers only.  Any
tech-support related stuff would remain on the lists that are still
used today.

Specifically, we wanted to move the "v4l-dvb-maintainer" list to
somewhere with spam filtering and turn this into a list where all
development discussions and pull requests can take place.  We want a
separation between user requests and developer discussion, so merging
everything into a single list is not the direction that we want to
take.

-Mike