Re: saa7134 bug in 64 bits system

Hello,

Am Samstag, den 11.10.2008, 15:34 -0400 schrieb Andy Walls:
> On Sat, 2008-10-11 at 18:12 +0200, mathieu.taillefumier@xxxxxxx wrote:
> > Hi devs,
> >
> > I discover an annoying bug in the saa7134 module after using my tv card again.
> > The card is a cinergy ht pcmcia which works perfectly on both XP and fedora 10
> > (with a customized kernel 2.7.27-rc8) but fail to initialize the card correctly
> > on 64bits kernel (it is a lfs in this case with the same version of the kernel
> > and the same drivers for the tv card). The drivers I am using are the last
> > version of the mercurial repository. I attached the dmesg files for both 32bits
> > and 64bits (same arch).
>
> With a diff of the dmesg files, I noticed things are being detected and
> configured slightly differently.  I'm not sure that's important, but
> this one in particular caught my eye:
>
>     ACPI: LAPIC_NMI (acpi_id[0x01] high edge lint[0x1])
>    -ACPI: Skipping IOAPIC probe due to 'noapic' option.
>    +ACPI: IOAPIC (id[0x01] address[0xfec00000] gsi_base[0])
>    +IOAPIC[0]: apic_id 1, version 0, address 0xfec00000, GSI 0-23
>

> Any particular reason you're specifying noapic for 32 bit and not for 64
> bit?
>
> Again, I'm not sure if it's important, but if you are troubleshooting
> between 2 setups, you want to eliminate as many unknowns as possible by
> keeping things the same as much as you can.
>

> > I try to track the problem and it seems that it is coming from the init function
> > of the driver in particular the line saa_readl(SAA7134_GPIO_GPSTATUS0>>2). the
> > gpio is wrong on 64 bits. The kernel indicates gpio is ffffffff instead of gpio
> > is 0 (which is the correct value).
>
> The devices on a PCI bus return 0xffffffff when there is a PCI bus read
> error.
>
> Given the error messages from line 731 on in the dmesg-64 file, I'd say
> the PCI bus is returning a lot of PCI read errors to the driver.  To
> verify, one could probably modify the saa_readl() macro in saa7134.h to
> a static inline function that also printk()'s out what was just read.
> (Not that that will help solve the problem.)
>

> >  So I do not know if it is problem in the
> > drivers or if the problem is coming from the kernel itself.
>
> I'm wagering it's a PCI bus configuration/setup problem.  (*guess*)
>
> Given that it looks like your video card is a PCMCIA/CardBus card, maybe
> something with the Yenta driver is not right. (*Wild guess*)
>
> This message, that only appeared in dmesg-64, may be of concern, since
> you're using a PCMCIA/CardBus card:
>
>    cs: pcmcia_socket0: unable to apply power.
>    pccard: CardBus card inserted into slot 0
>

> > I am willing to help
> > the devs to track down this bug so please let me know if you need some help.
>
> Those are just WAGs as to what might be wrong.  More differential
> analysis of the dmesg and dmesg-64 files may help you narrow things
> down.  I will think you'll need to expand your search beyond the saa7134
> driver messages - to me they appear to be symptoms caused by a problem
> [...]

at least the device is totally death for any i2c stuff, means that Andy
is right, that it fails on prior PCI stuff already.

Coming up by default with a PCI latency of 0 also looks insane.

It is also not reproducible on a recent 2.6.26 _64 quad too.

Unload the drivers, put the device out, wait 35 seconds, load the
drivers again, insert that card and report it is still the same.

Thanks,
Hermann