Re: [ANNOUNCE] DVB API improvements End-user point of view

On Thu, Sep 25, 2008 at 4:18 PM, Jörg Knitter <joerg.knitter@xxxxxx> wrote:
> VDR User wrote:
>> Another option would be to look at both proposals, take the best ideas
>> for each, and marry them into a new hybrid proposal so-to-speak.  By
>> that I don't mean something which must be built completely from the
>> ground up..  Most of the work has already been done.  I think that is
>> a workable solution that can be found somewhere in the middle.
>>
> Thinking about all the posts within the last days, I did not propose
> something as this as I don´t believe that certain persons are still
> willing to cooperate or change their point of view. To be more precise:
> I think it would be a wonder if Steven Toth and Manu Abraham worked
> together. ;)
>
> With kind regards

For the record, Manu did a great job with Multiproto.  Steve worked
with the multiproto API and added driver support for his devices.
Steve depended on Multiproto in order for his devices to work.  Steve
asked Manu when he would merge into the master branch, and waited
patiently for months.  Manu wouldn't even merge Steve's drivers into
Manu's own multiproto tree.  After repeatedly asking him to merge with
no sign of progress, Steve was left in a tough spot and had to come up
with his own solution.

There is a saying that goes often for Linux development... "release
early, release often" ..  I first heard this saying from Johannes.  If
you dont go by this way of thinking, ie:  hold on to code for two and
a half years without allowing a merge, there is no guarantee that
somebody else may come up with a better solution.

There was no sign that Multiproto would _ever_ get merged.  All of us
have waited for two and a half years for this.  The FIRST pull request
from Manu only appeared after Steve posted his own API proposal.  Had
Manu requested merge but one day before that, it would have been
merged and that would have been the end of it.

As it turns out, Steve's API is more flexible, and allows us to
support more features than Multiproto allows.  If Manu would have
allowed Multiproto to have been merged into the master branch, Steve
would never have designed this newer API.  Due to the superior design,
that was the chosen extension.  This is where we are left today.

I hope that clears things up.

Regards,

Mike