Re: [ANNOUNCE] DVB API improvements

Le Thursday 25 September 2008 06:13:14 Manu Abraham, vous avez écrit :
> Christophe Thommeret wrote:
> >>
> >> With the multiproto tree, you _don't_need_ to convert any devices to use
> >> the new infrastructure, whereas with S2API you need to do that. This is
> >> a major drawback. In the multiproto tree, all devices work just without
> >> any conversion of any kind, also it is completely backward compatible.
> >>
> >> The aspect of backward compatibility and drivers not getting converted
> >> had been a major issue, when the original DVB-S2 discussions came up.
> >> This had been a design goal for the multiproto tree.
>
> Please do not trim CC's.
>
> > I'm not sure to get you Manu.
> > Do you mean that existing drivers have to be "converted" to work with
> > s2api ?
>
> Yes, one of the existing drivers had to be converted. eg: CinergyT2

Ok, the cinergyT2 was indeed out of dvb-core, but a dvb-core driver already
exists, so no problem :)

> Also, the stb0899 driver (from the multiproto tree) also needs to be
> converted, as far as anyone who is able to see, or from the posts
> themselves.

Of course :)
But this is not what i call an "existing" (in kernel) driver.

> The CX24116 is already existing in the multiproto tree, from Steven
> himself. I did not pull this driver into the tree that i used for
> testing because of all those mails Steven wrote: just wanted to stay
> clear of it. But somebody else is having the same tree. Eventhough many
> people had asked me to pull that driver in, because of all those mails,
> i just stood clear of it.
>
> You can read it from the public archives here on the same.

I know the story Manu.
But 2 years to get a new API is really too much. And during these 2 years, 2
different trees for 2 differents drivers was totally insane. We (applications
devs) are always making our best to bring DVB to users as easily as possible.
And trust me, the multiproto story has complicated users life A LOT.
This must NEVER happen again.

--
Christophe Thommeret