Re: hvr4000-s2api + QAM_AUTO

> > > Hi Steve,
> > >
> > > I've managed to add S2 support to kaffeine, so it can scan and zap.
> > > However, i have a little problem with DVB-S:
> > > Before tuning to S2, S channels tune well with QAM_AUTO.
> > > But after having tuned to S2 channels, i can no more lock on S ones
> until
> > > set modulation to QPSK insteed of QAM_AUTO for these S channels.
> > > Is this known?
> > >
> > > --
> > > Christophe Thommeret
> >
> > Hi Christophe,
>
> > I'd be very happy to try out your patch for Kaffeine and give feedback
> if
> > you are ready to share it.
>
> Sure, here it is (patch against current svn
> http://websvn.kde.org/branches/extragear/kde3/multimedia/)
>
> Atm, s2api is only used for S/S2.
>
> P.S.
> In order to play H264/HD with kaffeine/xine, you need a fairly recent
> ffmpeg
> and xine compiled with --with-external-ffmpeg configure option. (and of
> course a quite strong cpu, unlike my old athlon-xp-2600 :)
> However, you can still record and/or broadcast without this update.

Success! Many thanks Christophe.

With the following:
HVR4000 card
S2API + multifrontend patch (hg clone http://linuxtv.org/hg/~stoth/s2-mfe)
ffmpeg from SVN
xine-lib from mercurial (compiled with --with-external-ffmpeg)
Kaffeine from SVN + Christophe's S2API patch

Scanning to find channels and tuning are working in Kaffeine for  DVB-T, DVB-S and DVB-S2.
S/S2 tuning and scanning is with S2API.

My CPU (3ghz core 2 quad) is fast enough to show live HD video so I can watch HD channels
live inside Kaffeine, or record to disk and watch afterwards. ASTRA HD+ and ANIXE HD are
good. ARTE HD throws some errors and stutters a bit. Simul HD can crash Kaffeine.

I enabled the two lines in dvbstream.cpp which set modulation to QPSK instead of
QAM_AUTO for DVB-S.

Settings: number of xine threads >= 4, de-interlacing(CTRL-I) at minimum (is it useful for HD ?
I don't know). The load isn't always distributed well across the 4 cpus -- it can max out one
of them sometimes, with the others almost idle. Perhaps this can be improved.

Regards,
Hans

--
Release early, release often.