Re: DVB USB receiver stopped reporting correct USB ID

On Sun, Sep 21, 2008 at 4:21 AM, Alistair Buxton <a.j.buxton@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> 2008/9/20 Michael Sanders <msanders@xxxxxxxxx>:
>
>> Thanks for you ideas. I have attached the full dmesg as suggested.
>>
>> I don't think the problem is a cold/warm state issue. When I used the
>> device for the first time, I saw a warning that it (correct name was
>> given) was it its cold state and that firmware was not found. Adding
>> the firmware fixed the problem and then it worked fine. i.e. in the
>> cold state, it did not show the EZ-USB id.
>
> That's odd. However, there is no difference between cold state and the
> current state. EZ-USB devices usually have a very small I2C eeprom
> which holds nothing except for the device IDs. It looks like that chip
> has either been wiped or has blown.
>
> You should still be able to force the firmware loading, after which it
> should go into warm state as normal. There are two ways you could do
> that. There is a tool called "fxload" which can load the firmware, but
> it uses a different format to the kernel drivers for the firmware
> file. It needs intel hex format (ihx). You could alternatively add the
> EZ-USB development ID to the list of IDs for the kernel driver.

Thats very encouraging - sounds like there is hope to fix it. I did
some googling and concluded that the cold ID for my device should be
eb2a:17de and that the kernel module that it requires is
"dvb-usb-dibusb-mb". At the moment, the generic 04b4:8613 seems to
load the "usbtest" module - how do I force it to load
dvb-usb-dibusb-mb instead? At least then I can confirm the matter is
worth pursuing.

> Unfortunately neither of those methods will be a permanent fix. You
> will need to reprogram the I2C eeprom with the correct USB IDs in
> order to do that. That can be done with fxload and a special firmware
> or there is a tool available from Cypress which can do it - although
> it is Windows only.

So I looked that this path too and downloaded the SuiteUSB 1.0 - USB
Development tools for Visual C++ 6.0 from
http://www.cypress.com/design/RD1076. That had a utility called
CyConsole. That recognised that Cypress a USB device was plugged in
and allows data be be manually changed, but unfortunately the
documentation is written for people who have a better understanding of
these things than me. There wasn't any obvious way just enter new
vendor and product IDs. I looked through the datasheet of the
cy7c68013 (http://download.cypress.com.edgesuite.net/design_resources/datasheets/contents/cy7c68013_8.pdf),
but didn't see anything obvious. Anyone out there able/willing to give
me some instructions on how to use the cypress tool to do that?

On my linux machine, I installed fxload, but that also didn't provide
any obvious way to change the IDs (I guess it only for loading the
firmware)

Thanks for all the help so far.

- Michael