Fwd: why opensource will fail

2008/9/16 Steven Toth <stoth@xxxxxxxxxxx>:
> Tim Lucas wrote:
>>     Message: 7
>>     Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2008 16:31:16 -0400
>>     From: Steven Toth <stoth@xxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:stoth@xxxxxxxxxxx>>
>>     Subject: Re:  why opensource will fail
>>     To: Paul Chubb <paulc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>>     <mailto:paulc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>>
>>     Cc: linux dvb <linux-dvb@xxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:linux-dvb@xxxxxxxxxxx>>
>>
>>     Paul Chubb wrote:
>>      > Hi,
>>      >      now that I have your attention:-{)=
>>
>>     .... You've also had my attention in the past, if I recall I have you
>>     tips about not using cx_write, instead using cx_set/cx_clear.
>>
>>     Your latest patch still doesn't have those changes btw. ;)
>>

>>      >
>>      > I believe that this community has a real problem. There appears to be
>>      > little willingness to help and mentor newcomers. This will limit the
>>      > effectiveness of the community because it will hinder expansion of
>>      > people who are both willing and able to work on the code. Eventually
>>      > this issue  will lead to the community dying simply because you have
>>      > people leaving but few joining.
>>
>>     I disagree with everything you've just said, but that's just my opinion.
>>

>>      >
>>      > The card I was working on has been around for  a while now. There
>>     have
>>      > been three attempts so far to get it working with Linux. Two in this
>>      > community and one against the mcentral.de <http://mcentral.de>
>>     tree. Both attempts in this
>>      > community have failed not because of a lack of willingness of the
>>     people
>>      > involved to do the hard yards but because of the inability of the
>>      > community to mentor and help newcomers.
>>

>>     Did I not try to help you? The one piece of initial feedback I gave you,
>>     you ignored. (see my opening statement).
>>
>>     I'm always willing to help people, but they also have to demonstrate
>>     that they are applying themselves, doing basic research, asking specific
>>     questions ... rather than, here's my patch - and What's Wrong with it.
>>

>>      >
>>      > The third attempt by a Czech programmer succeeded, however it is
>>      > dependent on the mcentral.de <http://mcentral.de> tree and the
>>     author appears to have made no
>>      > attempt to get the patch into the tree. The original instructions to
>>      > produce a driver set are in Czech. However instructions in
>>     english for
>>      > 2.6.22 are available - ubuntu gutsy. I will soon be putting up
>>      > instructions for 2.6.24 - hardy. They may even work  for later
>>     revisions
>>      > since the big issue was incompatible versioning.
>>      >
>>      > I understand from recent posts to this list that many in the
>>     community
>>      > are disturbed by the existence of mcentral.de
>>     <http://mcentral.de>. Well every person from
>>      > now on who wants to run the Leadtek Winfast DTV1800H will be
> [...]

I think the main problem is not having separate lists for development
and help/support. The development efforts suffer a lot from this. I
did experience that silence myself when working on adding support for
my device; at first, the linuxtv community seemed to ignore me, but
after a lot of patience and insistence, I got positive replays from
Antii and others. Then, I knew the problem was the high load of the
list (Apart from regular e-mail, I'm subscribed to about a dozen
lists, but 80% of my inbox is from linuxtv).

Anyway, IMHO there's no easy solution to this: for instance, a problem
regarding compilation on Ubuntu with the latest svn branch is hard to
classify as development or support or both. Maybe it'd be a better
idea to have a lot of lists for specific tasks: one for core/api
development, one for new devices and drivers, one for new channel
files, seamless patches and such, and one for suggestions and
requests. I don't know.

Any other ideas?

--
 Román