Re: Siano ISDB [was: Re: S2API - Status - Thu Sep 11th]

--- On Fri, 9/12/08, Steven Toth <stoth@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > module parameter `default_mode=5' or =6,
> >
> Correct, that tree expects a module option to load the firmware, you
> might want to check this code snippet in the other tree.  The other
> detects the delivery system and reloads the firmware on the fly.

Hey, no fair, I think you're answering questions I'm about
to ask before I can send them!

Oh heck, here's what I wrote a short while ago, just in case...

 =-=#=-=#=-=

In looking at the S2API code for the Siano chipsets, I had
a question which I couldn't answer by reading the code.

At present, my card supports DVB-T by default, and I can
load a different firmware to get it to (potentially) support
alternatives, say, DVB-H.

The answer might be blindingly obvious, but I don't see if
this card has the capability of saying, okay, I can give
you DVB-T, or DVB-H, or DAB, or T-DMB...  Right now, I spit
DVB-T.  Then an application wanting DVB-H would then be able
to initiate a reload of the firmware, and the device would
reappear as a DVB-H device.

The ability to do this firmware switch seems to be present
within the driver, but I'm wondering if the S2API, or indeed
the present APIs, can handle a case like this.

I know that `mplayer' will grab the first available device
of the appropriate standard, while my other applications
pick a fixed adapter number (or more correctly, device by
product).  But I can see myself wanting to make both DVB-T
and DAB (eventually) use of this one device, without the
bother of reloading the kernel module to switch.

I did spend the night looking at the old API, and remember
virtually none of it, and the discussion of multifrontend
devices and what they mean has made me wonder about this...

thanks,
barry bouwsma