Re: DVB-S2 / Multiproto and future modulation support

hermann pitton wrote:> Hi,> > Am Mittwoch, den 10.09.2008, 21:00 -0400 schrieb Steven Toth:>> Christophe Thommeret wrote:>>> Le Thursday 11 September 2008 00:59:31 Andreas Oberritter, vous avez écrit :>>>> Hans Werner wrote:>>>>>> So applications could know that these 2 frontends are exclusive.>>>>>> That would not require any API change, but would have to be a rule>>>>>> followed by>>>>>> all drivers.>>>>> Yes, if we keep to that rule then only frontends which can operate truly>>>>> simultaneously should have a different adapter number.>>>> An adapter refers to a self-contained piece of hardware, whose parts can>>>> not be used by a second adapter (e.g. adapter0/demux0 can not access the>>>> data from adapter1/frontend1). In a commonly used setup it means that>>>> adapter0 is the first initialized PCI card and adapter1 is the second.>>>>>>>> Now, if you want a device with two tuners that can be accessed>>>> simultaneously to create a second adapter, then you would have to>>>> artificially divide its components so that it looks like two independant>>>> PCI cards. This might become very complicated and limits the functions>>>> of the hardware.>>>>>>>> However, on a setup with multiple accessible tuners you can expect at>>>> least the same amount of accessible demux devices on the same adapter>>>> (and also dvr devices for that matter). There is an ioctl to connect a>>>> frontend to a specific demux (DMX_SET_SOURCE).>>>>>>>> So, if there are demux0, frontend0 and frontend1, then the application>>>> knows that it can't use both frontends simultaneously. Otherwise, if >>>> there are demux0, demux1, frontend0 and frontend1, then it can use both>>>> of them (by using both demux devices and connecting them to the>>>> frontends via the ioctl mentioned above).>>> Sounds logical. And that's why Kaffeine search for frontend/demux/dvr > 0 and >>> uses demux1 with frontend1. (That was just a guess since i've never seen >>> neither any such devices nor comments/recommendations/rules about such case).>>>>>> However, all dual tuners devices drivers i know expose the 2 frontends as >>> frontend0 in separate adapters. But all these devices seems to be USB.>>>>>> The fact that Kaffeine works with the experimental hvr4000 driver indicates >>> that this driver populates frontend1/demux1/dvr1 and then doesn't follow the >>> way you describe (since the tuners can't be used at once).>>> I would like to hear from Steve on this point.>>>>>>>> Correct, frontend1, demux1, dvr1 etc. All on the same adapter. The >> driver and multi-frontend patches manage exclusive access to the single >> internal resource.>>> > then please explain what is about the analog usage, which can always be> first and don't tell it has to stay back, since you always sit on that> bridge and else come nowhere ...
Hermann, I'm not sure I understand your question, but I'll try.
This has nothing to do with analog, I never suggested these patches effected analog.
Either you're confused, or I am :)
The multifrontend patches are related to DVB only, the analog ports on the cx88 remain untouched, unchanged.
- Steve