Hauppauge HVR-1950 with Ubuntu Intrepid

I have a Hauppauge WinTV HVR-1950 USB box on a box running Ubuntu Intrepid.  Although I should expect problems from a testing distro, I've tried getting this box working on stable, Live-CD versions of Ubuntu, Open Suse, and Mandriva as well (because they were what I had around the house.)

First, there is a kernel problem in Ubuntu Intrepid where, if the 1950 is plugged into USB, the system will hang on boot.  Yet, if I boot without it and plug it in after boot, the drivers (pvrusb2 et al) seem to load, but no device nodes are created.  I have downloaded the firmware, renamed it properly, and placed it in /lib/firmware.  So I'm at a loss on how to troubleshoot.  Here's the relevant information on plug-in the box in after the system has been booted.

dmesg says:
usbcore: registered new interface driver pvrusb2
pvrusb2: Hauppauge WinTV-PVR-USB2 MPEG2 Encoder/Tuner : V4L in-tree version
pvrusb2: Debug mask is 31 (0x1f)

lsmod (edit):
usbcore
pvrusb2
i2c_core
v4l2_common
tveeprom
dvb_core
cx2341x
videodev
v4l1_compat

/proc/devices lists DVB as a character device.

Now, I'm assuming I'm missing some chip drivers.  I think I should have at least three, if memory serves, but only cx2341x is loading on plug-in.  Unfortunately (and I assume this is another Ubuntu problem) I can't unload pvrusb2 once loaded.  It hangs the terminal.  It makes playing around with it a tedious endeavor.

If anyone has had the same problems or could give some advice, I appreciate it in advance.

Will