Re: Multiproto API/Driver Update

Hi,

On Thu, Sep 4, 2008 at 10:47 PM, Johannes Stezenbach <js@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 04, 2008, Manu Abraham wrote:
>>
>> Does it support ISDB-T, ATSC-MH, CMMB, DBM-T/H?
>> Intentionally, no!  Experience with the old api development has proven
>> that making blind assumptions about delivery systems is a bad idea.
>> It's better to add in support for these when the hardware actually arrives
>> and can be properly tested.

I have Empia ISDB-T and DMB-T/H hardware and the corresponding signal
generator for it here,
it's right on my roadmap and work can be started within a few days.

> Full ACK on this one. Once an API is merged into the mailine
> kernel we're stuck with it, no matter how ugly and broken it might be.
> -> NEVER merge untested APIs

should be the rule but there's always an exception for it too . o (
thinking about KVM )

>> If you would like to use any of these drivers now, you may pull the
>> tree from http://jusst.de/hg/multiproto.  Drivers may be configured
>> with 'make menuconfig' the same as you've done with v4l.
>>
>> Feedback, bug reports, etc. are welcomed and encouraged!
>
> I only want to add a bit of historical perspective so people
> are aware of the reasons why Steve came up with his alternative
> API proposal, and why a number of developers seem to support it.
>
> First let's look at the timestamps:
> http://jusst.de/hg/multiproto/log/2a911b8f9910/linux/include/linux/dvb/frontend.h
> http://jusst.de/hg/multiproto_api_merge/log/4c62efb08ea6/linux/include/linux/dvb/frontend.h
>
> Then at some discussion from nearly one year ago:
> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.drivers.dvb/36643

by experience I'm sure most people won't read up the history here...

Markus