Re: Merge multiproto tree

On 09/01/2008 06:00 PM, VDR User wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 1, 2008 at 8:06 AM, Mauro Carvalho Chehab
> <mchehab@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> I'm aware that your solution seems to be more code-complete than Steven's
>> proposal.
>>
>> But the recent activity on the mailing list regarding his idea (and its,
>> so far, positive feedback) and the fact that I was anyway planning to
>> have a discussion about the future of the DVB-API at the Linux Plumbers
>> Conference 2008 are supporting me in my idea of post-poning such a pull to
>> a point in time shortly after this event.
>
> I understand peoples frustration in waiting for multiproto since I'm
> one of them as well.  However, I believe the support for Steven's
> proposal is largely because people aren't aware that multiproto is now
> in a ready-state and has a pull request pending.  Over the last
> several months I've seen many question when/if multiproto will be
> done, or if it is dead...  I think we all agree that it has taken
> quite some time for multiproto to get to a point where it's ready but
> that time has come.
>
> Multiproto -can- be pulled in right now, and if that happened, drivers
> could be written immediately, finally providing users with what
> they've needed for so long.  In my opinion it makes no sense to throw
> out a robust api that is ready right now just because of frustration
> and past personal grudges (whether anyone will openly admit to this or
> not, it -is- a part of this).  The questions for consideration -should
> be-... Is the code ready?  Can it handle future specs?  Is it missing
> anything that should be included?  If the code is ready and is robust,
> then the final question is what benefit is there in making people wait
> yet longer for another api to be written?  Will this new api proposal
> offer anything that multiproto doesn't already?
>
> It seems we can finally move forward and now instead of incomplete
> code stopping it, politics are.

If what VDR User and Jelle De Loecker are saying is right, I don't see a
reason for not going with multiproto either.

I'm an enduser and I would be happy with multiproto as well. I think I'm
not alone if I say I care less *what* the solution is going to be, as
long as we get DVB-S2 support in-kernel.

P. van Gaans