Re: DVB-S2 / Multiproto and future modulation support

Janne Grunau wrote:
> On Friday 29 August 2008 20:29:30 Steven Toth wrote:
>> Mauro Chehab, Michael Krufky, Patrick Boettcher and myself are hereby
>> announcing that we no longer support multiproto and are forming a
>> smaller dedicated project group which is focusing on adding next
>> generation S2/ISDB-T/DVB-H/DVB-T2/DVB-SH support to the kernel
>> through a different and simpler API.
>>
>> Basic patches and demo code for this API is currently available here.
>>
>> http://www.steventoth.net/linux/s2
>
> Overall API looks good.
>
> I have also a slightly preference for DTV/dtv as prefix but it's not
> really important.

Changing the namespace is a common message, I hear this a lot. This will
  probably be one of the first things to change.

> 16 properties per ioctl are probably enough but a variable-length
> property array would be safe. I'm unsure if this justifies a more
> complicate copy from/to userspace in the ioctls.

Johannes suggested we lose the fixed length approach and instead pass in
struct containing the number of elements... I happen to like this, and
it removed an unnecessary restriction.

So if 16 feels odd, we're soon not going to have any practical limit.

>> Importantly, this project group seeks your support.
>>
>> If you also feel frustrated by the multiproto situation and agree in
>> principle with this new approach, and the overall direction of the
>> API changes, then we welcome you and ask you to help us.
>>
>> Growing the list of supporting names by 100%, and allowing us to
>> publish your name on the public mailing list, would show the
>> non-maintainer development community that we recognize the problem
>> and we're taking steps to correct the problem. We want to make
>> LinuxTV a perfect platform for S2, ISDB-T and other advanced
>> modulation types, without using the multiproto patches.
>>
>> We're not asking you for technical help, although we'd like that  :)
>> , we're just asking for your encouragement to move away from
>> multiproto.
>>
>> If you feel that you want to support our movement then please help us
>> by acking this email.
>
> Acked-by: Janne Grunau <janne-dvb@xxxxxxxxx>

Janne, thank you for your support.

Regards,