Re: CX18 Oops

On Sunday 17 August 2008 21:12:50 Andy Walls wrote:
> [...]
> in the numbers for a few cases.
>
> >  The spinlock in the interrupt handler doesn't do
> > anything. It would only be useful if you could have two independent
> > interrupt handlers that both needed access to that resource. But
> > that is not the case here.
>
> I agree that 2+ interrupt handlers could not access that resource
> concurrently.  But, AFAICT, a system call on one processor and the
> interrupt handler on the other processor can access the queues
> concurrently.
>
> It's my understanding that spin_lock_irqsave() and spin_lock_irq()
> only disable local interrupts for the particular CPU and not
> globally.  So here's the case I think needs a spinlock lock in the
> irq handler:
>
> 1. A capture is in progress
>
> 2. Application on CPU #0 issues a read(). cx18_dequeue() is
> ultimately called on q_full.  cx18_dequeue() calls
> spin_lock_irqsave(), disabling preemption, disabling local
> interrupts, and acquiring the lock, and begins manipulating q_full
>
> 3. At an inopportune time, an interrupt arrives from the encoder and
> is sent to CPU #1 for servicing.   In the cx18 driver, in an
> interrupt context, epu_dma_done() is eventually invoked.  Without
> obtaining a lock, epu_dma_done() calls cx18_queue_find_buf() and
> manipulates q_full. This manipulation of q_full happens while the
> system call on CPU #0 holds the lock and thinks things are safe.
>

> Given the above situation I think the interrupt handler does need to
> acquire the spinlock.  So, here's where people get to hit me with the
> clue-stick: in the above case, what do I have wrong?
>
> > > Hans,
> > > (or anyone else with expertise in using spinlocks withing an
> > > interrupt handler),
> > >
> > > Could you please provide comments on if I'm doing something wrong
> > > with the way I obtain the spinlock in the interrupt handler?
> >
> > See above :-)
> >
> > > http://linuxtv.org/hg/~awalls/v4l-dvb/rev/f3ada35200c0

> > > Corbet, Rubini, and Kroah-Hartman's _Linux_Device_Drivers_ I
> > > think I've got it right.
> > >
> > > When the stream queues (q_full, q_io, and q_free) are accessed
> > > from the system call exception handler, I need to do a
> > > spin_lock_irqsave() to disable local CPU interrupts and protect
> > > access to the queues by kernel control paths on other CPU's.
> > > When they stream queues are accessed by the interrupt handler on
> > > any CPU, the interrupt handler is serialized with respect to
> > > itself and need not disable any interrupts and simply obtain the
> > > lock via spin_lock() to protect against access from system call
> > > exceptions.
> >
> > System call exceptions? Not sure what you mean.
>
> As I understand it, on Intel platforms, when a user land application
> invokes read(), write(), or some other system call, said system call
> eventually invokes an INT 0x80 software exception to make the
> transition to kernel code and data space with the proper privileges.

Ah, I just call them 'system calls' :-)

> > AFAIK the interrupt
> > handler doesn't have to protect against anything.
>
> See my concern above.  In brief, AFAICT, a system call on one
> processor concurrent with interrupt service on another processor
> requires the irq handler to obtain the proper lock before mucking
> with the shared data structure.

You are completely right and I stand corrected. cx18_queue_find_buf (aka
cx18_queue_get_buf_irq) must have a spin_lock. So that spin_lock in
ivtv wasn't bogus either :-)

Damn, it's so easy to get confused with locking, even you've implemented
it several times already.

That's a serious bug which needs to go into 2.6.27 (and probably to the
2.6.26 stable series as well).

Andy, can you make a patch that adds the spin_lock to
cx18_queue_find_buf(). It's better to do it there rather than in the
interrupt routine.

Then that patch can go into v4l-dvb and from there to 2.6.27. The other
changes can come later.

Apologies for probably confusing you. I certainly confused myself.

Regards,

	Hans