Re: dvb mpeg2?

Nico Sabbi wrote:
> On Thursday 24 July 2008 15:57:06 Nico Sabbi wrote:
>

>> be aware that demuxing the TS in its elementary streams implicitly
>> drops all timestamps (that are recorded in the PES headers), thus
>> recombining the audio and video streams will produce a
>> desynchronized output, unless you are lucky.
>> There simply aren't enough informations to keep synchrony without
>> timestamps. With your method if a stream is corrupt
>> you will likely see a desynchronization from the first breakage
>> onward, while working on the TS the muxer has a chance to recover
>>

> BTW, although mencoder is broken in countless respects,
> generating an mpeg-ps is quite safe:
>
> $ mencoder -demuxer lavf -of mpeg -mpegopts format=dvd -oac copy -ovc
> copy -o output.mpg input.ts
>
> eventually dropping -demuxer lavf if it doesn't work (lavf's demuxer
> isn't nearly as permissive as my native TS demuxer (the default one)
> but it has an advantage: strictly correct timestamps on all frames)

Hi Nico,
Yes I wondered about corrupt streams, so I watched projectx in action
carefully.
I need to understand it a bit more, but it found many corrupt timestamps
while demuxing, and repaired on the run. Time will tell, however I have
some progress,
and I can't fault the process yet!

I intend to try all of everybody's suggestions. One question - with
mencoder why format=dvd?

Regards,
Timf