Re: cx18 - dmesg errors and ir transmit

On Jun 15, 2008, at 9:17 PM, Andy Walls wrote:

> On Mon, 2008-06-16 at 01:43 +0200, hermann pitton wrote:
>> Hi,

>>> The IR on the HVR-1600 (a Zilog Z8F0811 microcontroller) is very
>>> much
>>> like that of the PVR-150.  From what I can tell, it even appears
>>> to be
>>> at the same i2c address.
>>>
>>> This previous message also indicates the PVR-150/500 IR is very
>>> similar
>>> to the HVR-1600:
>>> http://www.linuxtv.org/pipermail/linux-dvb/2008-February/023532.html
>>>

>>> Right now the cx18 driver has omitted some code present in ivtv
>>> related
>>> to explicit reset of the IR microcontroller.  It shouldn't be hard
>>> add back that reset code,  if needed.
>>>
>>> I haven't had a chance to try the IR blaster out yet (it was on my
>>> todo
>>> list before Feb 2009).  "Mark's brain dump" has a modified lirc
>>> package
>>> for the PVR-150 IR blaster:
>>>
>>> http://www.blushingpenguin.com/mark/blog/?p=24
>>> http://charles.hopto.org/blog/?p=24
>>>
>>> It's probably a good starting point.  There are likely to be
>>> differences
>>> though, as the cx23418 has 2 I2C buses where the cx23416 only has
>>> 1 I2C
>>> bus.
>>>
>>> It looks like you're blazing a trail, as I can't find any
>>> documentation
>>> on the 'net by anyone who has done this with a HVR-1600.  If
>>> lirc_i2c,
>>> available with the normal lirc distribution for IR receive, can
>>> detect
>>> the Z8F0811, you've probably got a good start.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Andy

>> just a note, have been there already coming from other stuff to it,
>> but don't remember the details off hand.
>>
>> http://marc.info/?l=linux-video&m=119705840327989&w=2
>>
>> and following.
>
> Hermann,
>
> Thanks.  More information is always good.
>

> Hermann and Brandon,
>
> I have done some research, (at least one version of) the PVR-150 and
> the
> HVR-1600 both appear to use the Zilog Z8F0811 microcontroller.  The
> lirc_pvr150 module probably has a good chance of working for IR Tx
> with
> the HVR-1600.
>
> I have just examined the lirc_pvr150 code, the kernel i2c-core, the
> cx18
> and ivtv code.  Changes will be needed in:
>
> 1. lirc_pvr150.c
> 	- add request_module("cx18") near the end
>
> 	- change the explicit call to ivtv_reset_ir_gpio() to a
> 		cx18 equivalent or somehow change to an ioctl()
> 		so that the code is more flexible.
> 	(Note that the cx18 i2c_adapter callback data has a
> 	 different structure than ivtv to include not only the
> 	 card handle (struct ivtv/cx18 *), but also the i2c bus index)
> [...]
Andy,

Thank you for taking an interest. I am not quite sure what you said
above, but if you need someone to test I am willing to do so. While I
was trying to figure out how to make this work; I did find the
lirc_pvr150 code, but got lost when trying to make it work with the
cx18. I do have the firmware downloaded as well.

I can set up a HG clone of which ever branch of yours you'd like me to
use. The only drivers I compile are for the cx18 and for the HD-PVR,
which I can merge into your branch.

Regards,

Brandon