Re: A couple HVR-1800 questions

David Engel wrote:
> Hi,

Hi David,

> Due to limited PCI slots, I'm thinking of getting a Hauppauge HVR-1800
> card when I do some hardware upgrades on my MythTV backend.  I have a
> couple of questions regarding the 1800 that I hope someone can answer.

:)

> First, what is the status of the analog capture capability?  My search
> of the mailing list archives indicates that it was sort of working but
> the driver work was not complete.  In addition, from checking the
> Mercurial logs, it doesn't look like much new development has been
> done since January.

The analog encoder is running with the tree form linuxtv.org. It has
some cleanup video ioctl2 rework going on by another dev here, but it's
functional as is. It's usable today.

> Second, as far as I can tell, the hardware can perform simultaneous
> analog and digital captures.  Is that correct and, if so, does/will
> the Linux driver support it?

Yes and yes.

Typically the analog video devices are exposed as /dev/video0 (analog
preview) /dev/video1 (encoder output) and /dev/dvb/... for the digital side.

Trying to view analog preview and the encoder at the same time has some
quirks, best to avoid that but other than that you should be good to go.
I don't personally use Myth, so if anyone has any MyTh related tips then
  they should chime in here.

Firmwares and stuff are generally available from
http://steventoth.net/linux/hvr1800

Regards,

- Steve