Re: Tuning Question, Comcast in Pittsburgh, PA

2008/5/22 KnightCode <knightcode@xxxxxxxxx>:
> Ok. So what can we do about this? I imagine TiVo and Slingbox don't have
> this problem (never used them, though) and the boxes from the cable company
> certainly don't have a problem, both of which probably just have some kind
> of digital signal processing that could be implemented on our CPU. If Nvidia
> can provide proprietary, binary drivers for their hardware, the major cable
> companies can do the same for their broadcasts. In fact, why aren't they
> made to? I'm allowed to timeshift transmissions in any way I see fit.

Tivo has a cable card inside it that will decrypt the encrypted
signal. I believe you have to pay $3 to $5 /month to comcast to
connect a cablecard device. There is no cable card on linux. The only
solution is to capture the output of a cable box. In the past this has
been only SD but Hauppage is releasing a new product that will allow
you to capture in HD. I believe the product exists but there are no
linux drivers yet.

John

John