Using remote causes sound breakup and picture freeze

Hi,

I am setting up a system for a friend.
It is a mirror of my system but I do not have his problem.

When the remote is used while watching a program, sound breaks up
and picture pauses for a short while.

e.g. Watching live TV, press the remote Up or Down arrow and the picture
will freeze and the sound will break up.

The system:
Distro: Ubuntu 8.04 upgraded from 7.10
DVB: Latest V4L-DVB 2008-05-03
CPU: P4 ~1.7 Ghz
RAM: 512MB RAM
Capture: Nova-T 500

He said that the problem was solved on Ubuntu 7.10
with the following:

"I set the dev.rtc.max-user-freq = 64 which has made my remote control operate
like lightning"

This 'fix' no longer seems to work.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,