tuners active all the time

I notice that under Linux (Fedora 8) my two Leadtek Winfast DTV dongles become active as soon as the operating system boots up and remain active when the op system closes down. Under Windows they are only active when the tuner application is running (either viewing or recording) and they become inactive when the application is closed.

Is this normal for Linux?

Thanks,

Phil T,