Re: High CPU load in "top" due to budget_av slot polling

Robert Schedel wrote:
> Oliver Endriss wrote:
> > Robert Schedel wrote:
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> on 2.6.24 I run into a small issue with the budget_av driver:
> >>
> >> Hardware: Athlon 64X2 3800+, Satelco Easywatch DVB-C (1894:002c), no CI/CAM
> >> Software: Linux kernel 2.6.24 (gentoo-r4) SMP x86_64, budget_av module
> >>
> >> Error description:
> >> After the budget_av driver module is loaded (even without any DVB
> >> application), the CPU load average in 'top' rises to ~1, but in top no
> >> active tasks are found. After unloading the driver, the load decreases
> >> again to ~0.
> >>
> >> Displaying the blocked tasks during high load with Alt-SysRq-W shows
> >> that the kdvb-ca kernel thread seems to be accounted as blocked when it
> >> polls for the CI slot status:
> >> [...]
> >>
> >> Enabling debug traces shows that polling for the PSR in function
> >> 'saa7146_wait_for_debi_done_sleep' constantly times out after 250x1ms
> >> sleeps:
> >>
> >>  > saa7146: saa7146_wait_for_debi_done_sleep(): saa7146 (0):
> >> saa7146_wait_for_debi_done_sleep timed out while waiting for transfer
> >> completion
> >>
> >> Increasing the 250ms did not avoid the timeout. And as I understood from
> >> previous list mails, this timeout is normal when no CI/CAM is connected
> >> to the DEBI. However, for me the high frequency polling does not make
> >> sense if someone does not plan to plug in a CI/CAM.
> >>
> >> When commenting out two lines in 'dvb_ca_en50221_thread_update_delay' to
> >> increase the polling timer for slotstate NONE from 100ms (!) to 60s, the
> >> CPU load went down to 0. So this is some kind of workaround for me.
> >
> > Afaics the polling interval could be increased to something like 5s or
> > 10s if (and only if) the slot is empty. Could you provide a patch?
>
> Attached a patch for 2.6.24.4. Opinions?

Basically it should work but it has to be tested with CI/CAM, too.
Furthermore it is not sufficient to test with budget-av because many
other drivers will be affected.

So I would prefer a patch which does not touch behaviour for other card
drivers (if possible).

Please note for 'final' patches:
Always run 'checkpatch.pl' and fix the errors.
Sorry for that. :-(

> Unfortunately, a 5s poll interval for empty slots still results in a
> load average of about 0,06 (~ 250ms/5s).
>
> Increasing to 10s would decrease the load and be fine for people without
> CAM, but increase the delay for those users inserting CAMs during
> runtime. 5s sounds like a reasonable tradeoff.
>
> Is the 250ms timeout an approved limit? Decreasing it would push the
> load further down. Probably it still has to cover slow CAMs as well as a
> stressed PCI bus. Unfortunately, without CAM/CI I cannot make any
> statements myself.
>
> >> Finally, my questions:
> >> 1. Did I understand this right, that the behaviour above is expected
> >> when no CI is connected?
> >
> > Yes, but afaics the polling interval is way too short.
> >
> >> 2. Are all budget_av cards unable to check CAM slot state via interrupt
> >>   for HW reasons (as budget_ci does)?
> >
> > I don't have any budget-av hardware, so I don't know.
> > But I think that Andrew(?) had a good reason to implement it this way.
> > (In contrast the budget-ci driver was always interrupt-driven.)
> >
> > If someone finds out that a given card can operate in interrupt mode,
> > it should be changed for this card. Patches are welcome. ;-)
>
> My impression is, due to the different GPIO layout there is no way to
> get a CAM change IRQ. But it seems difficult to get information about
> the HW architecture of cards at all.

For most cards we have no hw info. :-(

> Regarding DEBI_E: Just found a av7110 code comment which also reflects
> what my recent tests showed:
>           /* Note: Don't try to handle the DEBI error irq (MASK_18), in
>            * intel mode the timeout is asserted all the time...
>            */
>
> So really only DEBI_S would be left, see below.

Did you check whether DEBI_S and/or DEBI_E are ever asserted with your
setup? If not, an interrupt would never occur anyway...

> >> 3. Would it be possible to substitute the current PSR DEBI_S polling
> >> with an interrupt based solution via IER/ISR? (driver av7110 alreadys
> >> seems to do this for its DEBI DMA)? Or was this not considered worthy,
> >> due to the expected short waiting period and the tricky IER handling?
> >> The code does not state further thoughts about this.
> >
> > The av7110 driver uses interrupt mode for buffer transfers in dma mode.
> > It does not make much sense to use interrupt mode for single-word
> > transfers, because the single-word transfers are very fast.
> > But I understand that the timeout causes a problem in this case.
>
> OK, interrupts of course decrease performance in the "sunny day" cases
> (=communication with inserted card in slot state READY). Having both
> approaches (interrupt when slotstate empty, later polling) would combine
> all benefits but also be somewhat crazy.
>
> >> 4. Are the high timeout periods in debi_done (50ms/250ms) in relation to
> >> the 100ms poll timer intended? (I found the recent patch to this code in
> >> the mailing list end of last year)
> >
> > That patch was applied to reduce the load on the pci bus in busy-wait
> > mode. Basically it did not change anything for cam polling. (In fact I
> > was not aware that the CAM was polled every 100ms. Imho this should be
> > fixed.)
>
> Only wondered whether the 250ms might have been smaller in former driver
> versions.

Iirc it should be even worse with older drivers.

Basically the 250ms timeout is just a last resort to escape from the
loop, if the debi transfer hangs for some reason. We might try to reduce
the timeout but I don't know how far we can go. (Touching 'magic' values
might be dangeous.)

CU
Oliver