Re: Technotrend common interfaces think my CAM is invalid

On 04/13/2008 03:23 AM, Oliver Endriss wrote:
> P. van Gaans wrote:
>>> Not surprising. Many of the CAMs are really picky about timing and signalling.
>>> The Conax 4.00 cam works every time for me. What I suggest is that you
>>> try the patch I have linked to from
>>> http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/TechnoTrend_TT-budget_S-1500#CAM_tests
>>> Which is this:
>>> http://www.linuxtv.org/pipermail/linux-dvb/2007-July/019116.html
>>>
>>> There is some manual labour to get this patch working, but once done,
>>> all the CAMs I have initializes perfectly. I have no idea if the
>>> cable-length affects the process less after the patching, but it sure
>>> helps on initializing the CAMs I have.

>>> You said you changed your powersupply. To a more powerful one? Some
>>> PSUs does give away troublesome noise, especially when heavily loaded.
>>> Also, some powerful PSUs have much of the power on wrong voltages, or
>>> spread across different cables, so that you might actually be pushing
>>> the PSU to it's limits on one circuit, while swapping some power
>>> cables would solve the whole issue.
>>>
>>> BTW, the CI daughterboard is very simple, like in _very_ simple. It is
>>> very unlikely that this will break. If something is broken with CI, it
>>> would probably be the cable or the tuner-card.
>>>
>>> -Morgan-
>>>
>> Yeah, more power! Another computer (AMD Geode NX1750 and a laptop
>> harddrive, the 480W Antec is very very bored) gives the same result. My
>> regular computer was turned off when I tested that. The patch made no
>> difference whatsoever. The Xcam is actually not picky at all, it is well
>>   known for working in pretty much any receiver - and it does. For
>> example, KNC1 CI's are quite picky but the Xcam has no problems with
>> that. Even the Matrix Reborn won't run in a KNC1, yet the Xcam does.
>>
>> I installed the card on Windows to test a bit. I also noted the CI works
>> better on Linux when I fold the CI cable in tinfoil. Here's an overview
>> of some tests:
>>
>> *Windows, unshielded 40cm cable:
>> Xcam sometimes takes a while to init, but works on all tested channels
>> after that (including RTL4 and RTL5).
>> Matrix Reborn: similar result.
>>
>> *Linux, v4l-dvb from hg april 12, 40cm cable in tinfoil:
>> Xcam does init and works. But RTL4, RTL5
>> (http://nl.kingofsat.net/pack-canaldigitaal.php) give only sound. The
>> videoPID is correct and I did a rescan. Audio is gone if I remove the
>> CAM, so it is encrypted.
>> Matrix similar result, no picture on RTL4 and RTL5 here either, but
>> apart from that it seems to work.
>>
>> *Linux, v4l-dvb from hg april 12, unshielded 40cm cable:
>> Xcam does not init anymore. Not at all. Just "Invalid PC card inserted :(".
>> Matrix Reborn does init, but init fails sometimes as well. When it does
>> init, I can watch most channels.. But not RTL4 or RTL5 (only sound).
>> SCM Conax 4.00e: init sometimes, but can't even get into the menu. Don't
>> have a Conax subscription card right now.

> [...]

I directly changed both values to 0x03c20000 but it doesn't seem to make
any difference. I'm thinking of taking a short cable and shielding it as
good as I can, but I'm guessing that still wouldn't make RTL4 and RTL5
work. The strange thing is RTL7 works fine (with shielded cable). RTL7
is on the same transponder, afaik same resolution, similar bitrate, in
the same subscription package.. It's more or less a repeat channel for
RTL4 and RTL5 with some extra sports and the same rubbish teleshopping
at night. From a technical point of view it's not different from RTL4 or
RTL5.

Even more stange stuff: if I press "instant record" (after tuning in
with only sound to be heard) in Kaffeine, the resulting file has a
correct picture in both Kaffeine and mplayer. If I set a timer to
record, the resulting file will have no picture in either mplayer or
kaffeine. But it does play in Totem. I record with Kaffeine 0.8.6 on
Ubuntu 7.10. I'm thinking maybe maybe the beginning of the file is
corrupt due to a slow response from the CAM/smartcard, but I can only
guess. If the TT app on Windows ignores the encrypted data that might
explain that, and why the standalone receiver works with RTL4/5. Still
doesn't explain why it used to work fine before, and why the TT app can
init the Xcam without shielded cable, although it takes a while
sometimes (but I have no idea how the TT app on Windows would have
responded before my problems started as I only used the card with Linux
before).

I don't know what causes the problem anymore. This all seems to make no
sense whatsoever. I'm starting to think there could be multiple causes
(that all started at the same time) like: some noise in the ether that
the CI flatcable picks up (shouldn't be possible, it's certainly nothing
in this house and I have no spectrum analyzer to check) and a smartcard
that responds slower to specific channels after an update (no idea why
that would be or if it's at all possible). I'm just guessing, It's all
just too weird.

Pim